2 year contract
£50k + living allowance, full relocation package and other excellent benefits, travel home allowance + end of contract bonus
**Based in county – British overseas territory**
This is an exciting opportunity to relocate and work in government for a British overseas territory. The role is looking for a Solicitor or Barrister to take a full and active role in ensuring the good governance of the island, and as legal adviser to a territorial government, this role requires a solid grounding in public law.
Your role will provide a full range of legal services to the Government and demonstrate active participation in the Government’s Senior Management Team. Through the provision of strategic legal advice, you’ll support the Government’s departments to achieve their objectives, and contribute to the good governance of the island by taking a proactive approach to the identification, mitigation and management of legal risks. You’ll be responsible for managing any litigation brought against or by the Government, including civil and employment litigation, as well as acting as the prosecuting authority in respect of criminal matters. You’ll also provide legal support for the Government’s legislative agenda, in particular providing legal advice on policy development, liaising with external lawyers on legislative drafting, and supporting post-legislative implementation.
- Solicitor or Barrister (or equivalent in a Commonwealth Jurisdiction) with at least five years post-qualification experience including both litigation and advisory work.
- Willingness and proven ability to be flexible in approach and to adapt to new areas of law quickly.
- Experience of managing the competing demands of a busy practice including the ability to prioritise, most likely gained through an in-house role.
- Experience of working proactively and with minimal supervision, taking a lead on key legal issues with confidence.
- Thorough understanding of public law, with the ability to understand the practical implications of human rights obligations.
- Resilience to operate in a high-profile role in a small, isolated community.
- Ability to engage with confidence with a wide range of stakeholders at all levels, including external stakeholders.