Head of Policy
Our client, an international NGO is seeking a highly experience Head of Policy to lead and grow their high impact policy team. You will initially manage three Policy Managers outside of the UK who work on four priority areas at EU level and the team will grow substantially across Brussels, Germany, France, and the UK.
In this role, you will:
• Provide strategic direction, oversight and coordination of the organisations policy work.
• Help plan and organise their policy work by overseeing objectives, key results, and action plans, and ensuring that they deliver on those plans.
• Manage and support the policy team, including performance assessment, professional development and other aspects of line-management.
• Personally contribute to lobbying efforts in some areas, where needed.
• Oversee and assist the policy team in developing and coordinating lobbying strategies to deliver positive policy change, based on thorough research and mapping of decision-makers.
• Act as a senior spokesperson and representative for the organisation in meetings with stakeholders (including donors), in the media, and at public events, as needed.
• Build and maintain relationships with senior politicians and officials in relevant public institutions such as the European Parliament, the European Commission, the Council of the EU, and national level decision making bodies.
You must have:
• A demonstrated ability to drive policy change.
• Significant experience working on policy at the EU, national (within Europe – whether in an EU member state or a non-EU country) or multilateral level, for example in a government, public institution, political party, NGO, think tank, industry association, consulting firm, multilateral, or other relevant institution.
• Demonstrated experience as a supportive, collaborative, empowering line manager.
• An excellent ability to think and work strategically to set a compelling and optimised strategic direction for the organisations policy work in Europe, including vision-setting, prioritising between competing workstreams and opportunities for impact, etc.
• Excellent people-skills – the ability to influence, network, build alliances and work well in a team.
• Fluent English, both written and spoken.
• Ideally experience leading and managing a team, potentially including leadership and management qualifications.
• Ideally experience leading/managing teams working remotely across multiple geographies.
• Experience in one or more of the following policy areas: research and innovation, food and agriculture, legal and/or regulatory affairs, climate and environment policy, public health.
• Experience working on policy at the EU level.